In preparation for the publication of ISO 45001:2018 later on 12 March 2018, the International Accreditation Forum (IAF), which represents the world association of Conformity Assessment Accreditation Bodies and other bodies interested in conformity assessment, has published its “road-map” for a three-year migration process.
It should be noted that the word “migration” is used as opposed to “transition”, which was used in connection with the movement from ISO 14001:2004 to ISO 14001:2015 or ISO 9001:2008 to ISO 9001:2015.
The reason for the use of the word “migration” is that OHSAS 18001:2007 is a British Standard, and whilst it has been used widely across the world, it is not technically, an International Standard. So there can not be a “transition” from a non-International Standard to an International Standard. The term “migration” allows for the recognition of the process for users of OHSAS 18001:2007 to move to ISO 45001:2018.
Whilst, the IAF document: IAF Requirements for the Migration to ISO 45001:2018 from OHSAS 18001:2007 (IAF MD 21:2018) is aimed at the accreditation and certification body community, it does offer insight into the migration process. This information should assist OHSAS 18001 certificate holders to more effectively manage their migration as well as understand their interaction with their Certification Body.
Special mention should be made of Section 3.1 of the document, which provides the following recommended actions for organizations using OHSAS 18001:2007 to adopt for their migration to ISO 45001:2018:
- Obtain a copy of ISO 45001:2018 (or a copy of the earlier Final Draft International Standard if early planning and adaptation is preferred).
- Identify the gaps in the OHSMS which need to be addressed to meet any new requirements.
- Develop an implementation plan.
- Ensure that any new competence needs are met and create awareness for all parties that have an impact on the effectiveness of the OHSMS.
- Update the existing OHSMS to meet the new requirements and provide verification of its effectiveness.
- Where applicable, liaise with their Certification Body for migration arrangements.
A copy of the IAF document: IAF Requirements for the Migration to ISO 45001:2018 from OHSAS 18001:2007 (IAF MD 21:2018) can be freely downloaded here.